US Visa Appointment UK
Travelling to the United States from the UK will require a visa unless you are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program which allows certain people to enter the US visa-free or you are a citizen of Bermuda or Canada. If you don’t qualify for visa-free entry, you will need to schedule and meet all the requirements for US visa appointment UK before you can travel to the United States.
Applicants aged 14 – 79 must apply for their US visas in person through a pre-scheduled interview. Applicants below 14 or above 80 years old may be eligible to apply for a visa by courier. This article explains the processes involved in your US visa appointment in London and other parts of the UK.
US Visa Appointment UK : How to Apply
US visa appointment UK steps :
- Completion of Form DS-160
- Payment of Application Fee
- Schedule US Visa Interview
- Attend the Visa Interview
Complete Form DS-160
The first step in your US visa application UK process is to fill out the online DS-160. The form is for each person applying for a US visa, regardless of age. Most of the questions in this form are compulsory; you should endeavor to answer them to the best of your ability. Once you have completed your DS-160, you will need to print the confirmation page and keep it. It will be needed to book your appointment and when attending your visa interview. Some required details in Form DS-160 include your full name, marital status, place and date of birth, nationality, country of residence, mobile number, address, and email address. Others include passport number, education, profession, and some family information.
Pay Visa Application Fee
Once you have completed the DS-160, the next step in your US visa appointment UK is to pay a Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee of $160 and schedule your visa interview. However, before you can do all those, you will need to create a user account on this official website of the US embassy in the UK for nonimmigrant for visa information and appointment. After creating an account, you can then proceed with the following:
- Add the required information to complete the registration
- Enter your DS-160 confirmation number
- Select a location or provide an address where you would like to receive your documents from the Consular Section
- Pay your nonimmigrant visa fee. You can pay the fee by debit card online or by phone by following the instructions on application fee payment methods on the website.
- schedule your visa interview
You can also get premium service and help on your application by applying with US visa appointment premium service.
US visa appointment UK in London or Belfast
US visa appointment UK in London or Belfast is a pre-scheduled arrangement. You will book your appointment by choosing the location you wish to be interviewed, either at the embassy in London or consulate in Belfast, which are for nonimmigrant visa applications. The website will show you the estimated wait times to receive an interview appointment.
You can schedule your interview for the next available appointment date on the website. If you are to travel to the US for an urgent or emergency situation, you can request an expedited interview appointment.
Applicants are advised to make their visa appointments as early as possible to avoid delays in their travel plans. While the embassy and consulate always try to keep visa issuance within the possible shortest timeframe, some factors, such as visa types and certain administrative processes may make the wait times longer.
Attend Your US Visa Interview UK
Visa interview is usually the last phase of your US visa appointment UK. Unless you are below 14 or above 80 years old, a visa interview is compulsory and must be attended in-person.
On your interview date, ensure you arrive at the venue on time, earlier than the scheduled time. Arriving late can lead to cancellation of your appointment. You will be taken through various check-in and pre-interview processes, including fingerprint screening. Your data and documents will also be collected for verifications. Once you are done with all those, you will be invited to meet your interviewing officer.
The US visa interview is a very short questions and answers moment that typically lasts between 15 and 20 minutes. However, it is about the most crucial aspect of your US visa appointment. Apart from punctuality, your mode of dressing, appearance and how your confidence and approach to the interview questions will determine your success or otherwise at the end of the interview.
If at the end of the US visa appointment UK, you are granted a visa, then you can start your travel plans to the US. Keep in mind, however, that your visa and passport may not be given to you immediately if you are successful after the interview. The embassy will need some time to prepare your visa. The passport and the visa will be sent to you by the embassy a few days after.
Documents Required for US Visa Appointment UK
Required documents for US visa appointment may vary depending on the visa type you are applying for. If you needed to submit more documents other than the general ones, you will be duly informed during the application process. However, the generally required documents for all visa types are as follows:
- Your passport which must be valid for at least months beyond your period of stay in the US. There must be at least one blank page in the passport, to affix visa.
- Your previous US visas. If you have travelled to the US before with an older passport, you will need to take it along when going to the embassy or consulate for your interview
- Form DS-160 confirmation page
- Visa appointment confirmation page
- Recently taken color photograph (within the last 6 months) : 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches)with these specifications
- Documents showing past deportation or denial of entry to the US (if applicable)
- If you have a medical issue that could affect your visa requirement eligibility, you will need to provide documents, such as a letter from your physician
- If you have ever been arrested, cautioned or convicted, you will need to furnish a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office.
US Visa Appointment UK : where to Apply
The venue for your US visa appointment will depend on your specific location in the UK. Generally, US nonimmigrant visas are processed at the United States embassy in London or at the Consulate General located in Belfast.
So, your US visa appointment UK can be scheduled at any of these two locations, regardless of your status in the U.K. or your nationality. If you are eligible to use a courier service for a visa application, and you are in England, Wales, or Scotland you should submit your US visa application to the embassy in London. If you are in Northern Ireland, the consulate general in Belfast will be the best and closest place to apply for your US visa. Other US consulates in the UK are US consulate general Edinburg and US virtual consulate Cardiff.
Addresses and Contact Information of the US Embassy and Consulate in the UK
The addresses and contact information of the embassy and consulate of the United States are as follows:
US visa appointment UK in London
33 Nine Elms Lane, London, SW11 7US. This has been the official address since January 2018 after the embassy moved from its former location at Grosvenor Square, London.
Phone numbers: The embassy switchboard number is:
- 020-7499-9000 (if calling within the UK)
- +44 20-7499-9000 (for international calls)
US visa appointment UK in Belfast
- Address: Danesfort House, 223 Stranmillis Road, Belfast BT9 5GR, Northern Ireland.
- Phone number: +44 (0) 28 9038-6100
- Fax:  (0)28 9068 1301
- Email: ConsularBelfast@state.gov